For CHM's CFO Charity Beall, "It's all in the details"
Charity Beall, a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), has been CHM’s Chief Financial Officer since 2017 and was Director of Finance from 2008-2017.
Christian Healthcare Ministries: What are some recent financial statistics that reflect how CHM is accomplishing its mission of glorifying God by enabling Christians to share their medical costs?
Charity Beall: There are a number of ways:
- In 2017 CHM shared over $257 million in medical bills, including nearly $37 million in maternity costs and $23 million for pre-existing conditions.
- In 2017 we also received our largest-ever medical bill; it was nearly $2.7 million for a severely burned 11-year-old boy. (He’s doing well today).
- At this writing CHM just experienced its highest-ever medical bill sharing month (April 2018) at almost $32 million.
- Our administrative costs are under one percent.
- We’ve been able to accomplish all of the above—and more—without increasing member financial gifts in over 10 years. God is so good!
CHM: How does CHM practice stewardship principles to act with integrity and according to our Christian faith?
CB: We focus on being the best stewards of the funds members entrust to us to share their medical bills. It’s all in the details.
Our independent Board of Directors receives monthly financial reports. We have outside, independent auditors who come multiple times per year for testing and discussion. The CHM accounting team is structured for consistent controls and segregation of duties. We operate out of two repurposed former school buildings (the last of which cost us $1 to acquire) in order to help keep administrative costs down.
CHM: What have you learned in your 10 years of serving CHM members?
CB: I marvel at what God allows us to accomplish for His people. God has shown me that He is limitless in His ability to care for His people.
The CHM staff is an example of God unifying a team of Christians who are diverse in their backgrounds and the finer points of doctrine and belief. We work together to model the Body of Christ, loving each other and the members we serve. God has called us in Romans 12:15 to daily pray for, weep with and rejoice with brothers and sisters in Christ we have never met.
As CFO I have the awesome privilege of seeing each part of this ministry come together to fulfill God’s marvelous plan to provide for Christians with medical needs. I want each member to know that we’re here to serve you as a member of our family, as brothers and sisters in Christ!
Editor’s note: Charity Beall and her husband, Tony, reside in Green, Ohio, and have three children: Ashley (11), Emma (8) and Roman (5). They attend Faith Family Church in North Canton, Ohio.