"I've joined CHM, now what?"
Now that you’ve submitted your application to join Christian Healthcare Ministries, here are questions and answers to help you know what to expect and steps you can take to make your CHM experience even better.
Q: How long will it take for my application to be processed and approved?
A: If your application is complete, your membership will begin as soon as you click the “submit” button the online application or on the postmark date of your mailed application (unless you have specified a future start date). CHM has no waiting period; however, if you have experienced any signs, symptoms, testing or treatment prior to joining, please be sure to review our pre-existing conditions policy.)
Q: Will you send me any proof of my membership?
A: Yes. If applying online, you’ll receive immediate confirmation with a temporary membership number. You’ll also receive a new member welcome packet in the mail. The packet will contain your membership card(s), a copy of the CHM Guidelines and forms that you can fill out and submit if necessary. Also included is a Checklist of Understanding (COU), which must be completed and sent to CHM before we can share your medical needs. This is an important document. Since CHM is not insurance, the COU attests that you clearly understand the difference between voluntary health cost-sharing and health insurance.
While you wait for your member welcome pack to arrive, you can access a digital welcome packet (including a temporary membership card) by visiting our new members page.
Q: When will I receive my first billing statement?
A: The Member Gift Form statement is mailed (emailed if you sign up for e-billing) from the CHM offices between the 10th and 20th of the prior month. (Please allow adequate time for mailing, especially if you live on the west coast.)
For example, you will receive your February statement in January. The tear-off portion of the statement reflects the amount due or, if you have signed up for automatic credit card charge or CheckEase direct bank account withdrawal, the statement reflects a charge or withdrawal on the date you selected. Please carefully read the letter on the reverse side of the statement; it contains important information about CHM membership.
Q: Is there anything else I should know or need to do about my membership?
A: Though no further action is required, here are some things we highly recommend:
- Read Heartfelt Magazine. You will receive an issue of CHM’s magazine at the beginning of each month, or you can choose to receive it electronically. Get the e-magazine—faster for you while saving money for the ministry— by using the online Member Portal (see below). Please read it carefully; Heartfelt Magazine contains helpful information about being a member, ministry news, member testimonies, advice for healthy living and more.
- Visit the Member Portal. You can view the CHM Guidelines, make one-time financial contributions, complete the Checklist of Understanding (COU) form or learn how to use the internet to bring a friend into CHM by visiting the online Member Portal. (When registering for a free Member Portal account, your portal access code can be found under your CHM member number on your monthly billing statement.)
- Make sure you’re on the right program. There are a number of differences between our Gold, Silver and Bronze programs. The Gold level offers considerably more services. Please check the level for each person in your membership and make sure it’s the right one. To learn more, visit our programs page or view CHM Guideline G.
- Sign up for Brother's Keeper. Brother’s Keeper is CHM’s low-cost program for catastrophic medical bills exceeding $125,000 per illness. If you didn’t sign up for Brother’s Keeper when you first applied for CHM membership, you can do so at any time by using the application in your welcome pack or by calling 1-800-791-6225, ext. 5993.
- Take note of the other forms in your welcome packet. In addition to the COU, the welcome packet contains a copy of all of the forms you need in order to submit medical bills to CHM, a form for enrolling in CheckEase (direct bank account withdrawal), a form for contacting CHM’s medical consultant and an extra member application for you to pass along to a friend. These forms are available if and when you need them.